Skills Training & Employment Project (STEP)
STEP up to a Better Job!
The Skills Training & Employment Project (STEP), originally funded by a U.S. Department of Labor grant, has expanded the library's job and educational resources to better serve the people of Brooklyn.
Currently, the following libraries are offering free, one-on-one sessions:
- Bay Ridge
- Business & Career Library
- Kings Bay
- Stone Avenue
- Washington Irving
- Meet one-on-one with friendly staff
- Review your resume, and get tips on job hunting and interviewing
- Learn about the next steps towards your goal
- Explore materials, programs and services
- Learn to use the library's job-related books and computer databases, including:
- Career Cruising: An interactive career guidance resource in English and in Spanish. Users can find help with occupational assessment, career exploration, educational planning, and portfolio development.
- Learning Express Library: Test prep material and practice exams for the GRE, SAT, graduate school, civil service, technical and professional exams. (Available anywhere with an Internet connection and a library card.)
- Connect with outside agencies who offer training and job placement
- Learn more about the industries in which you want to work
Signing up for The Skills Training & Employment Project (STEP) is not an application for employment at Brooklyn Public Library. Visit our Career Opportunities page to view our current job openings.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions, comments, or to share your success/progress as a result of STEP services.
Jobseekers and others who may want more time on computers are encouraged to take advantage of our laptop loan program at select locations.