"Brooklyn City Hall"
In 1834, as Brooklyn evolved into a city, political leaders felt it was time to build Brooklyn's own City Hall. They chose as its site the corner of Fulton and Joralemon Streets, very close to Fulton Ferry and to newly developing areas. Although construction began in 1837, an economic depression caused a delay until 1849. This drawing, probably created in the 1850s, shows not only the Classical Revival style building but the horse and carriages typical of common transportation of the day. The building still stands, and is now Brooklyn Borough Hall.
Citation - Document 5
Courtesy of Tom and Angela Sarro