New York State of Health
Uninsured? Get Information and Enrollment Assistance at Brooklyn Public Library!
Brooklyn Public Library (BPL) has partnered with the Brooklyn Alliance to offer information about Affordable Care Act (ACA) qualified health plans, determine eligibility for subsidies and government insurance progams, and provide enrollment assistance.
Brooklyn Alliance Navigator Sessions
Beginning December 1, the following schedule changes will occur:
- Greenpoint Library will move navigator sessions from Thursdays to Wednesdays, 1-8PM.
- Sunset Park Library will add a navigaor session on second Saturdays in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Mapleton Library will no longer offer sessions on second Saturdays.
East Flatbush Library
9612 Church Avenue at Rockaway Parkway
Languages spoken: English, Spanish
Tuesdays: 1–7PM (English, Spanish)
22 Linden Boulevard at Flatbush Avenue
Languages spoken: English
Thursdays: 10AM–5PM (English)
107 Norman Avenue at Leonard Street
Languages spoken: English, French, Italian, Albanian
Wednesdays, 1-8PM (English, French, Italian, Albanian)
Kings Highway Library
2115 Ocean Avenue (near Kings Highway)
Languages spoken: English, Russian, Albanian, Cantonese, Mandarin, French
Mondays: 10AM–5:30PM (English, Russian)
Tuesdays: 12PM–7PM (English, Russian)
Wednesdays: 10AM–5PM (English, Cantonese, Mandarin)
Thursdays: 10AM–5:30PM (English, Cantonese, Mandarin)
First Saturdays each month (beginning in December): 10AM–3PM (English, Russian)
1702 60th Street
Languages spoken: Russian, Albanian, Cantonese, Mandarin
Mondays: 10AM–5PM (French, Italian, Albanian)
Wednesdays: 10AM–5PM (French, Italian, Albanian)
617 Dekalb Avenue at Nostrand Avenue
Languages spoken: English
Tuesdays: 1–8PM (English)
Sunset Park Library
5108 4th Avenue at 51st Street
Languages spoken: English, Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin
Tuesdays: 1–8PM (English, Cantonese, Mandarin)
Wednesdays: 10AM–6PM (English, Spanish)
Thursdays: 1PM–8PM (English, Spanish)
First and Third Saturdays: 10AM–4PM (English, Spanish)
Second Saturdays: 10AM–4PM (English, Cantonese and Mandarin)
The Brooklyn Alliance, the not-for-profit affiliate of the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce is proud to offer the In-Person Assistance and Navigator programs under the NYS State of Health program, in partnership with the Brooklyn Public Library, and through the generous support of the NYS Department of Health. Learn more about the partnership on the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce site.
To find other Navigator organizations and In-Person Assistors, visit the New York State of Health website's Navigator/Broker search.
About the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and New York State of Health
New York State of Health is the state's official health plan marketplace, and created as a result of the Affordable Care Act. The exchange helps individuals, families and small businesses:
- Compare and purchase qualified insurance plans;
- Check for eligibility and enroll for government programs like Medicaid or Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP); and
- Determine whether they qualify for financial assistance in purchasing health insurance. You can visit the Kaiser Family Foundation subsidy calculator now to see if you qualify for lower premiums.
Insurance can be purchased through the marketplace starting October 1, 2013 for 2014 coverage. The 2014 enrollment period ends March 31, 2014. Those who are not enrolled in a qualifying plan or government program after the enrollment period will be charged a penalty fee when they file their 2014 tax returns in 2015.
Starting in 2014, there will be an open enrollment period between October 15 and December 7 of each year.
To participate in the exchange, you must be 1) a New York State resident and 2) a U.S. citizen, national or lawfully present immigrant. If you are not a New York State resident, you can find the exchange for your state at healthcare.gov.
- Healthcare.gov: the official site of the Affordable Care Act.
- NyStateOfHealth.ny.gov: New York State’s health insurance marketplace.
- NY State of Health Brooklyn Fact Sheet (PDF): Information about Brooklyn's qualified health plans, starting rates, and estimated tax credits for Brooklyn residents.
- New York State of Health help line: 1-855-355-5777 (TTY: 1-800-662-1200). Hours are Monday-Friday: 8AM-8PM, Saturday: 9AM-1PM.
- National Marketplace Toll-Free Call Center: 1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325)
- For questions relating to health insurance in New York State, contact the Department of Financial Services Consumer Services Bureau: 1-800-342-3736.