How to Help Toddler - You Are Your Child's First Teacher
Toddlers need to be nurtured in language-rich environments. Here's what you can do:
- Read to your toddler every day. You may want to pick a set time to read together as a family.
- Toddlers love to hear the same book again and again. They find it comforting and it builds vocabulary.
- Active toddlers may wander while you read. Keep on reading! They will listen on the move.
- Point out familiar things in books to your child. Encourage your child to name things, too.
- Sing to your toddler. Share beloved songs from your childhood or discover new favorites online or at the Library.
- Talk to your toddler and find fun ways to get your toddler talking. Engage your child in pretend phone conversations or puppet play.
Illustrations from READ IT, DON'T EAT IT! copyright © 2009 by Ian Schoenherr. Reproduced by permission of Greenwillow Books, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.