Assistant Vice President of Finance/Controller
Brooklyn Public Library (BPL) is the nation's 5th largest public library system, serving the borough’s 2.5 million residents through a Central Library, Business Library and 58 neighborhood libraries. BPL is committed to providing the borough’s 2.5 million people quality services and a vibrant learning environment through outreach programs, educational workshops, and youth services events. We seek professionals dedicated to providing excellent customer service, developing fruitful partnerships in the community, and creating environments aligned with our mission.
BPL is seeking an Assistant VP/Controller to join the Finance Department. This position will report to the Vice President of Finance. He/she will assist the Vice President of Finance in overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Finance Department, and is expected to function as primary backup in the VPs absence.
This position has primary responsibility for planning, organizing, and directing the Library’s financial accounting and reporting functions. He/she will serve as a key player in the re-engineering of Library business practices and in the planning and implementation of new Finance department processes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain fiscal records and prepare financial reports in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, tax requirements, and standards set by governmental funding agencies
- Forecast short and long range cash requirements and obligations, as a basis for maintaining adequate funds
- Act as immediate contact with the Library’s independent auditors on accounting matters and supervise annual audit
- Directly supervise the payroll department and the Assistant Controller, who oversees the general accounting and accounts payable functions
- Provide leadership and support for all Finance department staff in their training and career development
- Together with the VP/Finance, set work and behavior standards that focus on integrity, teamwork, accountability and quality
- Provide direction and guidance in crafting policies and implementing organizational procedures
- Provide leadership in educating Library managers on best practices in fiscal management
- Provide staff support to and make presentations to the Board of Trustees’ Finance, Audit, and Investment and Endowment Committees
Skills and Requirements:
- BA Degree in Accounting or Finance and an MBA or other advanced degree; CPA Certification preferred
- Minimum (8) years’ experience of progressively overseeing financial management, accounting, and reporting functions for large, preferably not-for-profit organizations with significant public funding and annual operating budgets of $50 million to $100 million
- Superior computer and analytical skills with working knowledge of manual and automated accounting systems
- Experience with Lawson financial systems a plus
- Knowledge of the financial accounting and reporting standards and government regulations governing not-for-profit organizations
- Demonstrably superior communication and organization skills and noteworthy accomplishments as a change agent and a team player
All interested and qualified applicants should submit their resumes to: Brooklyn Public Library, Staffing and Recruitment, 10 Grand Army Plaza, Brooklyn, NY 11238 or email: email@example.com