Brooklyn Public Library (BPL) is the fifth largest urban public library system in the United States, serving 2.4 million Brooklynites through a Central Library, a Business & Career Library and 58 unique neighborhood locations. As a vital center of knowledge, culture and literacy, BPL’s employees are dedicated to providing free and open access to information for learning, recreation and reference.
BPL is seeking a junior- to mid-level designer to join the Marketing & Communications department. She/he will be responsible for a wide variety of design projects in print and online, including implementing the organization’s branding and visual strategy, and designing and developing graphics for a variety of marketing materials. The Designer will work closely with Manager of Art & Design to understand goals, objectives and visual direction, and will collaborate with copywriters and internal clients to meet promotional needs. This position will report to the Manager of Art & Design.
- Design in a range of styles reflective of BPL’s brand, throughout a variety of media and formats—signage, advertising, brochures, fliers, multi-component campaigns, promo items and collateral, basic web graphics, etc.
- Ensure that creative development and execution adhere to BPL brand guidelines
- Work closely with Manger, Art & Design to understand goals, objectives and visual direction/strategy
- Collaborate with Marketing copywriters and coordinators to translate written and/or spoken ideas into compelling visuals
- Under limited supervision prioritize concepts and deliver on strategy creative
- Manage the production of individual and/or group assignments (teams, when assigned)
- Work collaboratively with clients to help plan projects that meet their
promotional objectives & to schedule and monitor all projects
- Formulate design/art concepts and visual elements for printed and digital visual communications—basic and conceptual, and conduct appropriate research to select and secure suitable materials for production (fonts, illustrations, photography and/or stock photography)
- Participate in weekly staff meetings, critiques and brainstorming sessions
- Assist in other office related duties as requested
- Bachelor’s Degree in Art, Graphic Design (BFA)
- 1–3 years of graphic design experience; previous in-house, agency/studio or
not-for-profit environments preferred
- Portfolio of 5–10 strong pieces; online portfolio preferred.
- Knowledgeable in: Adobe CS – InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge and Acrobat Professional (required); Working knowledge of MS Office – Word, PowerPoint and Excel; Knowledge of HTML5/Flash, CSS, Dreamweaver and CMSs a plus
- Understanding of printing process, typography, color, photography, illustration; knowledge of the bidding and sourcing process (for printed media)
- Good communication skills, both written and spoken
- Confident presentation skills
- Must be able to be hands-on—creating mock-ups/comps; installation of signage/posters when needed
- Macintosh environment (PC also helpful)
All interested and qualified applicants should submit their resumes to: Brooklyn Public Library, Staffing and Recruitment, 10 Grand Army Plaza, Brooklyn, NY 11238 or email: Job2154@brooklynpubliclibrary.org