Brooklyn Public Library (BPL) is the nation’s fifth largest urban public library system in the United States serving 2.4 million Brooklynites through a Central Library, a Business Library and 58 neighborhood locations. BPL is seeking a Maintainer, to join the Capital Planning and Facilities Management department.
The Library Maintainer is responsible for maintaining the following but is not limited to: air conditioner equipment and controls; boiler operation and associated controls; carpentry and construction including framing and taping; electric repair/installation of outlets, lights, ballasts, motors, controls, etc; plumbing repairs and maintenance including installation and repair of piping, pumps, seals, valves, etc; experience maintaining and repairing restroom equipment; proficiency in the use of maintenance tools and equipment including power snakes and other assorted power and hand tools; performs preventative scheduled maintenance; and knowledge of roofing repairs, masonry, door hardware, painting and flooring. Diagnoses and makes repairs to heating, ventilating and air conditioning equipment and controls; and waste disposal systems. Keeps records and prepares reports on materials used on work performed and will be responsible for ordering parts. Enforce safety requirements to protect building and grounds from vandalism. Will be required to drive vehicles and transport tools and equipment as necessary to perform maintenance related duties.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Perform maintenance work such as electrical repair, paints, carpentry, window screens, shelves and stands, floor tile installation, roof patches, masonry and furniture repairs
- Perform plumbing work such as pipe fitting, unstopping drains, replacing faucets and washers and installing plumbing fixtures
- Perform varied repairs to restrooms, doors, locks, floors, walls and doors
- Responsible for ordering supplies and necessary material for repairs
- Operate and repair ventilating/air conditioning equipment
- Work with gas under pressure systems and boilers
- Perform other work of a maintenance nature as required
Skills & Requirements:
- Technical school or related training preferred in HAVC, Boilers license a plus
- A valid New York State Driver’s license with a good driving record, with the ability to drive a truck and/or van, (This is a condition of continued employment).
- A High School diploma or equivalent is required
- A minimum of at least 5 years demonstrated experience in the maintenance of building
- Must meet physical and medical requirements and be able to lift moderate to heavy objects and heavy tools
- Knowledge of building trades, tools and manuals and ability to read and interpret plans and specifications of a technical nature; demonstrated ability in general mechanical and related skills including plumbing and electrical repairs
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing; may be required to complete reports, requisitions, job status updates, and other related paperwork
- Basic computer knowledge- email, etc.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and work effectively and collegially in a large system
- Must be able to obtain all necessary licenses and certificates of fitness necessary to the operation of the department
- Valid refrigeration license a plus
- Ability to work all shifts including holidays, Saturdays and Sundays
- Starting salary: $39,177
All interested and qualified applicants should submit their resumes to: Brooklyn Public Library, Staffing and Recruitment, Grand Army Plaza, Brooklyn, NY 11238 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or faxes please. EOE