Manager of Community Engagement
BPL is seeking a Manager of Community Engagement to join its External Affairs Department. The External Affairs Department is responsible for enhancing and managing Brooklyn Public Library’s relationships with elected officials, community leaders, community groups and library advocates, and works to ensure that our supporters and partners in government understand the critical role BPL plays in lives of Brooklynites of all ages.
The Manager will be responsible for coordinating the activities of the Friends Groups at BPL which are volunteer groups that play a vital role in fundraising, advocating and volunteering for BPL programs and services for its neighborhood branches in Brooklyn neighborhoods. Friends Group plan and execute projects to support BPL and their local branches, develop relationships with local businesses and residents in Brooklyn communities, raise positive public awareness, and generate opportunities for increased funding for BPL branches. This position will report to the EVP, External Affairs.
- Serve as principal liaison between Friends Groups and BPL staff, both Central Administration staff and branch staff.
- Develop and implement a proactive community outreach strategy focused on Friends Groups and their fundraising, volunteer and advocacy initiatives.
- Coordinate Friends Group activities and provide them with critical administrative support.
- Reactivate inactive Friends Groups and proactively cultivate new Friends Group leadership.
- Develop metrics for success for Friends Groups and Friends leadership.
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with community leaders and key local stakeholders.
- Manage Friends Groups budgets.
- Plan events including the annual Friends Forum and other Friends cultivation events.
- Represent the Library at public events.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of two (2) years’ experience in a related field.
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent verbal & written communications skills.
- Experience as a leader, motivator and team builder.
- Experience working with diverse groups of stakeholders. Experience working with Brooklyn stakeholders a plus.
- Experience in advocacy, community organizing, or strategic outreach.
- Ability/willingness to attend evening and weekend meetings and events.
- Proficient with standard business software.
- Must be able to analyze information, extract results and present conclusions in a coherent, concise manner.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE.