Good news! Coney Island and Gerritsen Beach libraries will reopen this fall after extensive renovations due to Hurricane Sandy. See our Hurricane Sandy Renovations page for updates.
Clarendon Library - Local History & Photos
The Clarendon Branch of the Brooklyn Public Library was established in 1913 as an unstaffed deposit station in Markland's Drug Store on Clarendon Road at Nostrand Avenue. It moved several times and later became a sub-branch with limited staffing. In 1943, it moved to another Nostrand Avenue site, and then in 1947 to its present location, an existing storefront. In 1954 it assumed full branch status.
In February 1988, Clarendon Branch closed temporarily for the construction of a new building. The new branch, designed by Perkins Eastman Architects, features a skylit reading room, an outdoor recreational courtyard, and distinctive window guards and gates. The building, which won the Art Commission Award for Excellence, opened to the public in 1990. Home to an active Friend's group, the branch continues to provide service to the community, through its information resources and innovative programming.
Branch originated as Deposit Station in Markand's drugstore on Clarendon Road at Nostrand Avenue (1913).