Gravesend Library - Local History & Photos
Libraries have a long history in Gravesend. Lady Deborah Moody, who founded the original town of that name in 1645, collected one of the largest libraries in the New Netherlands, including volumes in Latin and Italian. Today there is little demand for Latin texts, but the Gravesend Branch of the Brooklyn Public Library provides a broad range of information, research, and recreational resources for the local community.
The brick structure opened to the public on August 14, 1962. The community and P.S. 216 have actively assisted the library in small improvement projects over the years. Their actions demonstrate the power of the continuing partnership between the library and the community. Today, in the 21st century, the library continues to serve the neighborhood through its reference sources, fiction collection, children's collection and through numerous programs for children and adults.
Gravesend was one of the original six towns of Brooklyn. It was established in 1645 by Lady Deborah Moody and followers as haven from religious persecution and was named after the English seaport of Gravesend Gravesham, Kent. The name Gravesend is Anglo-Saxon for "at the end of the grove."