Kings Bay Library
On March 12, 1999, the Kings Bay Branch reopened with a ribbon-cutting ceremony attended by Library and elected officials, and the public. The branch, located at 3650 Nostrand Avenue near Avenue W, underwent a $2.5-million renovation implemented by New York City’s Department of Design and Construction. The project was funded by the City of New York, with funds allocated by Councilmember, now Congressman, Anthony D. Weiner. First opening on Nostrand Avenue in a small storefront in 1951, Kings Bay moved twice in that decade, and then, in 1962, the ever-growing branch underwent its first renovation, adding 11,500 square feet and an air-conditioned extension. The 1997-99 renovation continues this tradition of expanding to meet community needs. The library added 2,000 square feet. Its cellar-to-attic renovation includes the reorganization of its interior space; a new meeting room; a new passenger elevator; new lighting; and a new facade and entry. Improvements ensure that the library complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), requiring that public facilities give building access to all.
While the library was under construction for two years, its patrons used a trailer library to borrow materials. Now the Library has plenty of space for book shelving. It also has a new Technology Resource Center, whose 19 computers with free Internet access are distributed through all three floors of the renovated library.
Kings Bay is a multicultural community. There are fourteen restaurants, five houses of worship, and seven discount stores within walking distance of the library.