Good news! Coney Island and Gerritsen Beach libraries will reopen this fall after extensive renovations due to Hurricane Sandy. See our Hurricane Sandy Renovations page for updates.
Marcy Library - Local History & Photos
The Marcy Branch of the Brooklyn Public Library began life under a different name and in a different location. The Tompkins Park Free Library opened in the center of Tompkins Park on June 6, 1899, in a pretty Grecian style shelter with windows on all sides and an alcove for sorting books. The Brooklyn Public Library absorbed the branch into the new borough-wide system in 1901. A library historian writes that at that time, ...because of the building's small size, it was considered desirable to have a small librarian and, for many years, petite Miss Edith Patridge filled that role.
Located in a populous area, the branch has always attracted crowds of enthusiastic readers. By 1969 it was clear that the old building was too small for the needs of the community. The Tompkins Park Branch closed permanently on March 14, 1969.
On March 14 of that year the current building, renamed the Marcy Branch and designed by Carmine Dempster of the Department of Public Works, opened to the public. As we enter the 21st century, Marcy Branch will continue to meet the information, recreational and reference needs of the community, not only with books, but with computers that provide Internet access, games and word-processing.
Marcy Branch was developed under a different name and location. The Tompkins Park Free Library opened in the center of Tompkins Park on June 6, 1899. In 1901, the Brooklyn Public Library absorbed the library into the new borough-wide system. By 1969, the old building became too small to meet the needs of the community. The Tompkins Park Branch closed permanently on March 14, 1969. On the same day, the current building, renamed March Branch opened to the public.