Midwood Library - Local History & Photos
The Midwood Branch opened as a deposit station in a drug store on Coney Island Avenue on November 6, 1912. By 1920, the branch had relocated to a stationery store, but still sorely lacked the space its growing collection needed. The branch moved several times over the years because of space concerns, but gained full branch status in 1929.
During the 1950's Midwood became one of nine branches to receive a new building constructed by the city. The grand opening of the new building, a light brick structure designed by the architectural firm of Unger & Unger, was held January 12, 1955. The two- story branch had an interior of 12,200 square-feet, and included a 75-seat capacity auditorium in the basement and a children's room and separate reading room on the second floor.
The Midwood branch is reopened after renovation that extended the public area, added an elevator and other improvements making the building fully accessible. Midwood branch caters to a variety of nationalities and cultures in the ethnically-diverse Midwood neighborhood It also serves students of three public schools, seven Yeshivas, two parochial schools, Brooklyn College and Touro College.
Some early movies were made at the Vitagraph studios, located at Avenue M and East 14th Street. Midwood also has beautiful Victorian-style homes and many lovely trees. It's a place of great ethnic diversity, with Orthodox Jews, Russians, Pakistanis, African-Americans, Turks, Chinese, and Hispanic people living in this neighborhood.