Good news! Coney Island and Gerritsen Beach libraries will reopen this fall after extensive renovations due to Hurricane Sandy. See our Hurricane Sandy Renovations page for updates.
New Utrecht Library - Local History & Photos
The origins of the New Utrecht branch lie in the Free Library of the Town of New Utrecht, founded in 1894 by members of a literary club called the Winter Society. In 1901 the members applied to join the Brooklyn Public Library system and in July of that year the branch moved to Linwood House on Bath Avenue and Bay 17th Street.
Between 1901 and 1956 the New Utrecht Branch several times outgrew the quarters allotted to it and moved to a different location. The present two-story brick structure, designed by Candela and Resnick, opened to the public on April 1, 1956 and greatly expanded the public space serving the local community. Its large auditorium and multiple meeting rooms can accommodate a full range of special programs.
A letter sent on January 5, 1956 by Councilman Edward Vogel to the neighborhood, expresses the importance of the new library to the community: At last a dream come true!...Our dream became a reality due to the fine co-operation of many public spirited citizens, civic groups, our public and library officials. The library and community continue to co-operate, enabling the New Utrecht Branch to remain a vital resource in the community. Through its information resources and programming, the branch looks forward to serving the neighborhood into the 21st century.
The New Utrecht Reform Church, The Parish House, The (Liberty) Flag Pole, Fire Engine Company 253. The cemetery on 16th Ave. between 84th and 85th Street is a national landmark. There is a monument in that cemetery for General Nathan Woodhall. On 81st street (and 18th Ave.) is the Milestone Park. The Milestone Stone was placed there in the 1700s by King George III to direct people.