Good news! Coney Island and Gerritsen Beach libraries will reopen this fall after extensive renovations due to Hurricane Sandy. See our Hurricane Sandy Renovations page for updates.
Sunset Park Library - Local History & Photos
The original Sunset Park branch was named the South Branch and opened to the public on December 9, 1905. The original two story classical revival style building designed by architects Lord & Hewlett and funded by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, occupied the present corner lot. Unfortunately this graceful brick and stone building was determined to be obsolete in 1970 and subsequently demolished.
On June 18, 1998, a reception, followed by a week of celebratory programs, officially marked the reopening of the newly renovated Sunset Park branch, built in 1972 on the foundations of a former Carnegie library. The $1.8-million renovation, funded by
Brooklyn Borough President Howard Golden, gave the library a new facade, more space, a new community meeting room on the lower level and Internet access. A new elevator and an entrance ramp make the branch accessible to all.
Because of its long waterfront, Sunset Park was one of the earliest parts of Brooklyn to be settled. The Sunset Park area was also the site of the Battle of Long Island in 1776. The early 20th century brought a massive industrial expansion along the waterfront, which attracted several waves of newly-arrived immigrant groups, including Europeans, and Hispanics. Notable landmarks include Greenwood Cemetery and the Sunset Park.