Adult Literacy Volunteer Tutor
Help Adults Learn to Read and Write
The ability to read, write and to use technology is critical for adults pursuing educational, professional and personal goals. Volunteer literacy tutors who are comfortable reading and writing, and who view learning as a continuous, active process, engage with small groups of adults learning to read and write. Adult literacy instruction is offered at the BPL Learning Centers.
- Facilitate a small group of adult learners learning to read and write at one of the five Learning Centers.
- Engage adult learners in learning activities - reading, writing, technology and critical thinking - related to their learning and life goals.
- Plan lessons for adults reading below the fifth grade level, utilizing the instructional methods and materials provided by the Literacy Program for adult learners, and incorporating library resources necessary for twenty-first century learning books, periodicals, technology, special programs, etc.
- Attend regular Literacy Volunteer Tutor training sessions.
- Participate in ongoing reviews with Literacy Program staff to adjust instructional practices as needed.
- Take attendance.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Participate in full interview process including the Literacy Volunteer Information Session, initial 20-hour Literacy Volunteer Tutor Training, site orientation and periodic follow-up training.
- Adhere to the Literacy Program philosophy.
- Ability to make a commitment of 2 two-hour sessions per week, or 1 three-hour session per week for a period of at least one year.
- Excellent communication skills - ability to speak, read and write English fluently.
- Ability to get along with a diverse group of people.
- A strong commitment to helping people learn to read and write.
- Ability to use computer technology, a plus.
How to Apply
Attend a Literacy Volunteer Information Session at one of the five BPL Learning Centers.
Upcoming Schedule for Literacy Volunteer Information Sessions:
- Saturday, March 15, 2014 10:30AM @ Central Library, Learning Center
- Tuesday, April 1, 2014 6:30PM @ Flatbush Learning Center
- Thursday, April 3, 2014 6:30PM @ Eastern Parkway Learning
- Tuesday, April 8, 2014 10:30AM @ New Lots Learning Center
- Thursday, March 13, 2014 6:30PM @ Eastern Parkway Learning