Help and Support
BPL Outreach Librarians are available to answer questions, provide support, and host teacher and student trainings. Contact your school librarian for more information about the Outreach Librarian assigned to your school.
For 24/7 general library support, use our Ask a Librarian service.
For DOE Office of Library Services Support, contact your school librarian for more information.
MyLibraryNYC is a new initiative to connect New York City public libraries and participating NYC Department of Education (“DOE”) school libraries. MyLibraryNYC will enable teachers and students to search for materials beyond their own school library, giving expanded access to books, DVDs, magazines, newspapers, online databases and other digital materials, and many other resources with high-quality information that can be used for class assignments and personal interest. Additionally, MyLibraryNYC educators can check out teacher sets, book collections curated by NYPL librarians, available for delivery directly to participating schools.
With MyLibraryNYC library cards, teachers and students enjoy no fines on books from Brooklyn Public Library. Currently over 120 Brooklyn public schools are participating in the MyLibraryNYC program.
Educator Cards – Contact your school librarian for more information about how to get your MyLibraryNYC Educator card. Download our guide to Educator and Student cards.
School/BPL Joint Catalog – Access your school’s catalog by visiting mylibrarynyc.org, selecting your borough from the drop down menu, and then typing in your school’s name.
Activating New Cards
- Educator cards: Ask your school librarian for help, or download our step-by-step registration instructions.
- Student cards: Fill out our all-ages online activation form
- Teachers scheduling a class visit (students 12 and under): Download our MyLibraryNYC Student Card Application [English only], and send home for parents to complete. Bring completed applications to the BPL branch at least two weeks ahead of your class visit. See your school librarian with questions or for student card applications in other languages.
- Teachers scheduling a class visit (students 13 and over): With their card barcodes, students can fill out our all-ages online activation form before their class visit to the library.
Using the MyLibraryNYC catalog – Download our guide on the features of the BiblioCommons catalog: searching, placing holds, making booklists… and more!
Databases and Downloadable Media, Class Visits, and Special Events – To take advantage of everything the library has to offer, visit our Teacher Resource page for more information about the wide array of resources and services available to educators.
Tips and How To's for Teachers
BPL Outreach Librarians have assembled short how-to guides on a variety of topics … feel free to download and distribute as needed. Let us know if you like us to add a topic not seen here!
- How to put a book/teacher set on hold
- How to check on your holds and checked out books
- How to renew materials
- How to borrow eBooks and audiobooks
- How to sort results by audience level
- How to create and share lists in BiblioCommons
- How to find lists in BiblioCommons
- How to update your email address in BiblioCommons
- How to replace a lost card – see your school librarian for instructions
For teachers in Manhattan, the Bronx, Staten Island and Queens:
Tips for Using MyLibraryNYC in the Classroom
- Recommended booklists from NYC teachers and librarians
- Library resources tagged with “Common Core”
- Featured book sets (Grade K-5)
- Featured book sets (Grade 6-12)
Tools for Sharing MyLibraryNYC with Students and Parents
- MyLibraryNYC in 10 Minutes: Presenting to your PTA [PowerPoint slides] [.PDF]
- MyLibraryNYC Marketing Toolkit [editable Word.doc][.PDF]
- FAQ for Students 12 and under
- FAQ for Students 13 and over
- General info sheet for parents about MyLibraryNYC student cards
- Instructions for using your student library card in other boroughs