Passport Service Hours
|Mon||10:00 AM - 7:00 PM|
|Tue||10:00 AM - 7:00 PM|
|Wed||10:00 AM - 7:00 PM|
|Thu||10:00 AM - 7:00 PM|
|Fri||10:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Sat||10:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Sun||10:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
- Call BPL Passport Service:
- See the Passports section of the U.S. State Department website for further information about travel restrictions and obtaining a passport.
Customers can now apply for a U.S. passport or passport card at Central Library, an officially-designated passport application acceptance facility.
This service is for a new U.S. passport or passport card only; we do NOT provide passport renewal for adults who wish to renew a 10 year passport. To renew a passport, please visit the U.S. State Department website.
This service is available ONLY at Central Library,
Grand Army Plaza.
You must apply in person if any of the following are true:
- You have never been issued a U.S. passport or
- You are under age 16 or
- You were under age 16 when your previous passport was issued or
- Your most recent U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago or
- Your most recent U.S. passport was lost or stolen or
- Your name has changed since your previous U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change
How To Apply
STEP 1: Complete and Print Form
Complete the DS-11 form at the Central Library.
Note: Do not sign the DS-11 form until the Passport Agent instructs you to do so.
STEP 2: Submit Completed Form + Additional Documents
Submit your completed application form and the following additional documents.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (one of the following)
- U.S. birth certificate
- Previous U.S. passport
- Naturalization Certificate
- Citizen Certificate
- Certificate of a U.S. Birth Abroad
- Proof of Identity (one of the following; originals only - no copies)
- Valid NYS driver's or non-driver's license
- Naturalization Certificate
- Prior U.S. passport
- Government employee ID
- Official Military ID card
- BPL offers photo services during passport center hours for a fee (see below). Applicants can also present one passport photograph taken within the past 6 months. Photos must be 2x2 inches in size (no exceptions). It should be front view with a white or off-white plain background. The customer must be the only person in the photo.
STEP 3: Pay the Applicable Fees
TWO payments are required: One made payable to the U.S. Department of State and one made payable to Brooklyn Public Library.
Payment to the U.S. Department of State
|Age 16 and Older||Under Age 16|
|Regular Processing (4-6 weeks)|
|Passport Book and Card||$140||$95|
|Expedited Processing* (2-3 weeks)|
|Passport Book and Card||$212.85||$167.85|
* The additional costs cover the expedited processing and express mail.
Payment to Brooklyn Public Library
|Execution Fee (required):||$25 for each application form|
|Photo Fee (optional):||$10 for two photos of the same customer|
You may combine payments to the Library in one check or money order if there is more than one application.
There must be one check or money order to the U.S. Department of State per application form. On the bottom left side of check or money order, please write the applicant's full name and date of birth.
Payment to the Department of State must be in the form of personal checks or money orders. Payment to Brooklyn Public Library can be in the form of personal checks, money orders and credit/debit cards. Cash is not accepted.